Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Spiderwick Chronicles

Bleh! So I'm on Spring Break in the middle of March, and I'm the only person I know who is on vacation. What else do you do when you have nothing to do? Movie Time! Although I suppose with me it is ALWAYS movie time, so that really is just an excuse I'm making. Let's get down to the point. "The Spiderwick Chronicles" is Hollywood's latest attempt to capture fans of films like Lord of The Rings and Harry Potter. I've known they were coming out with this movie for awhile since I've been curious to read the books that I hear are great. This movie follows the basic plot of the 5 books that make up 'The Spiderwick Chronicles' (they are currently on a second series entitled 'Beyond The Spiderwick Chronicles'). As someone who hasn't read the books I actually found the plot really enchanting. What I didn't expect about the movie was that it is pretty frightening. These kids are being attacked by invisible whatevers, they put on some glasses and you see some freaky ogres chomping on their legs. Granted, I was alone in the theater and maybe psyched myself out, but it was rather scary. I really liked it though. Also, Freddie Highmore is in this, and I think he's a pretty talented kid. He actually plays dual roles as twin brothers Simon and Jared. It's strange to see someone that good playing two DISTINCTLY different characters, the kid is just NUTS. Also, Mary Louise Parker from Weeds plays their mom. I want to be her, she is the s#%t! Basically, It was a good flick. I enjoyed it. If you like movies like Harry Potter (part 2, the scary one!), or Chronicles of Narnia, I think you'll really dig this. Here's the trailer BTW:

No comments: