Tuesday, March 18, 2008

New Music Tuesday

Just thought I'd review some music today since there has been a lot of new tunes hitting the web recently from musicians I'm really into. I want to start with the new Matches CD that came out today. "A Band In Hope" is The Matches third album; they're a fun, indie, pop-punk quartet from Oakland, CA. I've seen them several times, met them, rocked out to their CDs in my car. In fact, Alicia and I just saw them at Chain Reaction less then a month ago. So, you imagine my disapointment when I realized the new CD kinda sucks. It is a real departure from their previous efforts. Tragically, I must say that it has lost almost all of its edge. They went from up-tempo pop rockers to dragging minstrels. I couldn't get through most songs without having to skip to the next track. "Wake The Sun" and "Future tense" are my favorites on the record, but even those seem to lag somewhere in the middle. I'm hoping that a few more listens in my car will change my opinion, we'll see.

After all, when I first got a hold of Motion City Soundtrack's newest album "Even If It Kills Me", I felt that it too had lost its edge in comparison to their older records. After listening to it for a few weeks it quickly became one of my favorite records. Although its pace is much slower than its predecessors, "Even If It Kills Me" is a beautiful and creative album that grew on me and I recommend it to anyone who is interested in discovering something new.

Looking for a great 80s compilation? I know I always am! Last week, "NOW! THATS WHAT I CALL THE 80s" came out, I love these compilation CDs in the car when my iPod runs out of batteries. It makes a good substitute for Playlists. Anyways this is a good one; Michael Jackson, Billy Joel, Cyndi Lauper, Duran Duran, Bob Seger, Herbie Hancock, Heart, and more...

Ok! Also want to preview two albums I can't wait to get my hands on.
Firstly, the sexy ass new Jesse McCartney video has been making the YouTube rounds this week but if you have yet to see it, here is the first single "Leavin" off "Departure" which will hit record stores May 20th.



But, the highlight musical discovery for me this week is definitely Gavin DeGraw's new single "In Love With A Girl". Gavin's an amazingly talented singer/songwriter from New York who you may or may not remember from his fantastic 2003 album "Chariot" and it's lead single "I Don't Want To Be". Yeah, this IS the guy from the story I always tell about being at LAX headed to Florida that decided it would be fun to serenade me at the gate while we waited for our flight. BUT that aside, I'm not biased. Check the song out for yourselves. It is amazing!! I can't wait for this CD, It's self titled and you can pick it up May 6th. Enjoy!


No comments: