Wednesday, June 17, 2009

District 9


I first heard about this movie last year at Comic-Con, every year an advertising nerd like me is hoping to see a cool campaign plastered all over the place. In 2008, I was fortuitous enough to see 2 that I thought were brilliant. One was True Blood's Tru-blood drink campaign, and the other was for District 9. There were clever signs everywhere; "These Restrooms are for Humans only", "This Seating is for Humans only", "This Building is for Humans only" etc. I loved it. Then when you got outside the convention, there were signs all over downtown San Diego that read "Support Non-Human Rights." It was just so cool and emmersive, I loved it. So recently the teaser trailers debuted for this film. Of course, I was giddy. and let me tell you, they do not disappoint.
The trailer is offered up 2 ways: First the original teaser that depicts an alien with a blurred face, documentary style. Secondly, an unblurred version with subtitles that was released shortly after. The 2 provide viewers with practically the same content, but leave you with a very different emotion afterward. Very cool. Everyone is calling it 'this year's Cloverfield', and I am ok with that. Though this will not be an alien film with shakey handhelds, this is shot documentary style.
1st TRAILER: no spoilers

2nd TRAILER: see the alien and subtitles of what he is saying


The film is Directed by Neill Blomkamp, the director of the original short film "Alive in Joburg"; which is the basis of "District 9".

I absolutely can not wait for this movie. The trailer is perfectly done. It won't be out until August but Comic-Con fans this year will be getting some sneaky peaky goodness as well as a panel from Peter Jackson himself to hype the film pre-release.

Also, here are some of the posters you can see all over the place right now, they are very reminiscent of the signage up all over SDCC last year...





No comments: