Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Milky Way & The Galaxy Girls

I am such a nerd for animation, its not even funny. So this past week at Comic-Con I kept walking past a booth featuring these vaguely familiar characters called "Milky Way & The Galaxy Girls". Finally it hit me, they looked similar to "The Powerpuff Girls". I started to talk with the creator Lauren Faust, turns out she is married to Craig McCracken, the creator of "Powerpuff Girls" and "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" & the art director on "Dexter's Laboratory". Lauren is an Emmy nominated animator for her work on her husband's shows and the character "Frankie" on Foster's is based on her. I'm a superfan of PPG and Foster's so I basically tripped out when I realized who her and her husband were. Anyways, the point is that she's got these characters that are pretty adorable, and she is currently turning them into a line of dolls. I don't know if they characters are aimed to become a show or any other project. Right now it seems the focus is get them manufactured as dolls. To see some of Lauren's hand made dolls (that are like nearly $300 on an 8 month waiting list) click here.
Lauren's also got a blog that updates what she's doing with the characters here.
& you can check out her great artwork on deviantart.

No comments: