Thursday, May 15, 2008

Strange Wilderness

Hmm. Well. I can't make up my mind on this one, it has some HYSTERICAL moments in it. But the plot itself is kinda... dumb. Not in a good funny dumb way, more like a waste of time way. The trailer shows off the funniest parts (check it out to see the "shark scene" which brought me to tears laughing). I really enjoyed the parts involving the show, the animal footage with ridiculous commentary, but the movie is more of a quest film than a funny animal flick. The storyline follows the fictional film makers on their search for Bigfoot, kind of like "Dude, Where's my Car?" but with Bigfoot instead of a car (and less funny). That's a topic that has been covered so many times, it just isn't very interesting. In fact, I recently reviewed another Sasquatch movie starring Justin Long, and he's in this one too playing a vaguely similar character. No more bigfoot movies already unless it is really really funny! The movie also stars Steve Zahn, Jonah Hill, Allen Covert, Kevin Heffernan, and Peter Dante. It has a lot of the guys who did the HILARIOUS "Grandma's Boy", so I had some high hopes for it. I'm not saying it is horrible but it isn't gonna be some epic comedy that goes down in history for great laughs. Much of its humor seemed stifled. I watched a few of the DVDs special features and there is a scene that they show being improv'd over and over again, alot of the jokes were very funny and original, but for some reason the joke used in the final cut was underwhelming. This movie seems to have lost much of its humor through poor editing. Check out deleted scenes and you will see a great clip about Beavers... "Beavers, or some other animal, have 4 stomachs." This movie was on to something though and I think that Comedy Central or HBO should look into picking up a show about Animals with funny commentary because I would definitely watch that. The DVD will be out Tuesday watch it and see how you feel. Here's the trailer, enjoy the silly animals!

No comments: