Sunday, November 30, 2008

Boy in the Striped Pajamas


Oh lord. This movie totally crushed me. It is absolutely heartbreaking. The ending will blow you away. Good pace, incredible story, the main kid in this movie is Asa Butterfield and he is basically tremendous. If this movie doesn't sweep the Academy Awards this year, I don't know what will. It's based on the novel by John Boyne. Let me wrap it up for ya, its set in Hitler's Germany and tells the tale of the son of a high ranking Nazi soldier. The family moves to a country house near a work camp and the boy loses all his friends, that is until one day he meets a boy over the fence in the work camp and the two become best friends. I left the theater with so much overwhelming emotion that I could barely speak. Then I saw this 40 something hulking man and his wife, and the guy was wiping tears from his eyes, all I could do was laugh... so that kind of pulled me out of it. Point is, the film is overwhelmingly powerful. I'm not a fan of drama, but there are rare occasions that a drama film is meaningful enough to even compel me. So if thats the kind of thing you like then I highly recommend this film. If you like "Schindler's List" or "The Kite Runner" then it is a must see.

No comments: