Sunday, March 8, 2009

San Francisco Wondercon 09 Review

Went to Frisco for Wondercon last weekend. First of all, this could be by far the most boring city Ive ever visited. Secondly, this con SUCKS. I will stick to San Diego only from now on!

To get to it, here are a few of the highlights...

"Sit Down, Shut Up" a new animated comedy coming to FOX from the producers of "Arrested Development" starring the voices of Will Arnett (Arrested Dev.), Henry Winkler (Happy Days), Kenan Thompson (SNL), and Tom Kenny (Spongebob). As well as Jason Bateman and Cheri Oteri.
The Show is based on a live comedy show from Australia about the lives/ shennanigans of teachers.
Mitch Hurwitz (Producer) and the cast were on hand to talk about the show and show some clips. It seems funny, but I don't know if the animation can compete with the Simpsons. It uses some unique live action backgrounds, so we'll see when it hits tvs April 19th
Heres a cool video that basically sums it up:


Autographs were a big draw for a lot of people at this convention. Normally actors will sign your dinky 8x10 or action figure for around $20. This year I saw what could quite possibly be the most blatant abuse of celebrity in human history. Mark Hamill aka Luke Skywalker was on hand to sell you his John Hancock for $100 ($90 for the second). Of course you have to buy an 8x10 from him for $20 as well. And don't even think of asking for a photo... there were costumed Storm Troopers standing guard ready to knock you out with the force if you even thought about it. But hey, I wouldn't have wanted my picture taken either if I now looked like this...






"Star Trek" Panel... obviously amazing. Featured Chris Pine (Kirk), Zachary Quinto (Spock), Zoe Saldana (Uhura), and director JJ Abrams. I missed the footage, but I caught the whole discussion. Not much new info given, just some cool posters. What was great was that JJ Abrams mentioned that the script for "Cloverfield 2" is done and is fantastic, they just want to make sure that it can be done well before production begins. So sick, that is a movie I cannot wait for!



"Super Capers" is a movie that will experience a limited release Mar 20th. If it does well it will receive a broader release. The movie stars Justin Whalin (Dungeons and Dragons, Susie Q) and Adam West (Batman!) and is a comedy that draws on old fashioned Super Hero stories. It looks pretty funny. The cast was there all weekend signing endless autographs for anyone who approached their booth. Except for Adam West who was there for an hour each day and signed 8x10s for $50 (yes, the second highest price behind Mark Hamill.) Sunday they did a panel and showed some scenes. Here's a trailer:




"Alien Trespass" is another movie that pulls from old genres, but this time its 60s paranoia sci-fi. This movie stars Eric McCormack (Will & Grace), Robert Patrick (Terminator 2, X-files), and Dan Lauria (the dad for The Wonder Years)
This movie looks so cool to me; its from the creator of the X-files, its got a great cast, its got a theme that I love. I cant wait to see it. The cast was on hand to do a panel where they discussed and showed clips, then a few lucky people (myself included) got to do an autograph signing. Everyone was really nice and I kind of regret running off (I didnt want to miss all of the Star Trek Panel). Here's the trailer:




"Pandorum" is a creepy looking movie staring Ben Foster (3:10 to Yuma, X3) and some other really nice people I am too lazy to google. I only caught the end of the panel so all I really know about the movie is what is in the trailer. Its from the team behind the first 3 "Resident Evil" movies. Its dubbed a Horror movie, which I generally hate, but I dig the RE movies and this one looks a bit similar to "Sunshine" or "Doom" which are movies I actually enjoy even tho they scare the crap out of me. So Ill probably see this. I had tickets to the signing the cast did (since Im such a nerd for Ben Foster) and got to meet them. Everyone was REALLY nice and charming. Here's the trailer, its spooky, but still looks awesome.




"Terminator Salvation"... this was by far the best panel of the convention. McG, the director, made it really interactive. He brought fans onstage to accompany the stars that were up there; Anton Yelchin (Star Trek, Charlie Bartlett), Moon Bloodgood (Pathfinder), Common (Smokin Aces), and Bryce Dallas Howard (Lady in the Water). He also showed unfinished footage and asked for audience opinions. He showed the trailer (which premiered this past Friday before Watchmen) not once, but twice. It was really cool. He did a similar panel last year at Comic-con and I had the pleasure of meeting him and the cast there. He is truly passionate about what he's doing with this franchise and I can't wait for this movie to come out. Here is the trailer he showed:


Some other awesome stuff going on was a Pixar "UP" panel, that debuted beautiful footage from this upcoming film. I had already seen the first 15 minutes at Comic-Con but this panel showed several scenes from further on in the movie. I dont want to give away anything about this movie, so just know that it is gonna be fantastic! Its directed by Pete Doctor the director of "Monsters Inc." Cant Wait!
"Adventureland" is a comedy directed by Greg Mottola, the director of "Superbad", Miramax had a very cool booth setup to be reminiscent of the movie. Girls wearing shirts that read "Games" across the front allowed visitors to compete against them in Skeeball. If you won you could get either a "Games" shirt or a "Rides" shirt. Which are the uniforms of the Adventureland employees. Those waiting in line to play could watch the trailer or clips on a TV that might have been older than me. Martin Starr (Freaks and Geeks, Knocked Up) was on hand to sign autographs as well. Disney's "Princess and the Frog" had a short panel that showed clips. and of course "Watchmen" mania was in full effect. 250 guests were allowed to view the movie for free across the street at the local IMAX 6 days before it came out.

Toyzilla.
Normally I dont have time to score toys (which I am obsessed with) but since there was not a lot happening I had more than enough time to go bonkers. Heres some useless crap I brought home...

Vinylmation Kermit, Vinylmations are these blind boxed Vinyl toys sold at Disney Theme Parks. They normally sell in the parks for $9.95 but since you cant pick the one you get a lot of people have been buying them opened up online. They've sold out within a few days everytime a new shipment arrives in the park. So far only the "PARK" Series 1 has been released. They feature 11 uniquely designed 3-inch tall Mickey's and one chase figure that no one knows about until someone finds it and puts it up online. Ive been trying to score one of these for a long time but they are so hard to get a hold of. Luckily I found a dude selling them opened so I got the Kermit (perfect to sit between my Kermit toys and my Mickey toys haha) and Alicia got the Yeti from Matterhorn. "URBAN" Series 1 of these toys comes out late March followed by "PARK" Series 2 in May. I'll surely be blogging about these more in the future.

Huckleberry Toys McDonaldland Grimace, I'll be honest... I just want to cuddle with this toy. He's adorable. It's part of this line of McDonaldland toys that include Ronald, Hamburglar, Captain Crook, and Mayor McCheese. Ive seen them before, but couldnt commit until now. He's cuddly!





Mighty Muggs Teebo, If you read this blog, then you know I am obsessed with Mighty Muggs... but I don't really have space in my house for them, so Ive been waiting for a Wicket the Ewok to be released. Obviously Teebo is not Wicket, but I could not resist. Teebo was a Target Exclusive, and the word on the street is that hes pretty tough to find. I couldnt find him so I made especially sure to look for him at the con. The same guy who had my Kermit Vinylmation actually had a few of these and I had to take him. Wicket is scheduled to come out in April, so anyone wondering what gift to get me for my birthday in April should think about this.



The best toy I got came from the guys who do "Mr Toast", its a stuffed animal "Shaky Bacon". Its basically just a toy bacon. Hes adorable, Ive named him Kevin. There isnt really a lot more to it than that. Hes awesome and cute, and I love my bacon. I love my Kevin Bacon.











So basically that is what I found really exciting about this particular convention. Enough that I could squeeze into a decent blog. Like I said, I doubt Ill be going to this convention again, but I did get to see some pretty cool work in process and snag some toys. So it's all good.

Ok Im off to bed to cuddle with Kevin Bacon. Night!

No comments: